1.2K views

I have radiant and wanted a wood floor. Lumber Liquidators recommended their engineered wood flooring and said it was perfect for application over radiant heat, and that it was backed with a 30 year warranty.

They also said they have an installer that they recommend, & they sent him out to take an estimate. Foolishly, I trusted Lumber Liquidators, and I ordered over 1000 square feet of their Schon Quick Clic engineered wood flooring in Canadian Maple,and hired their installer to install the floor. It cost $10,000. I noticed immediately how poor the quality was, when it scratched using a brush attachment on a canister vacuum .

I contacted Lumber Liquidators customer service truly believing my floor was defective due to how easily it scratched. I was snail mailed the "30 YEAR WARRANTY". The customer service rep, James highlighted "What's Not Covered Other Site and Environmental conditions: Defects or damages resulting from extreme indoor conditions (such as extreme heat, radiant heat, or exposure to sand); indentations caused by Pets, furniture, appliances, tools, heels, toys, etc.);improper maintenance and accidents; misuse and abuse, and any wear that conflicts with the care and installation instructions are not covered" This is when I became aware that the 30 year warranty did not cover radiant heat, and to me, was useless. I then began reading complaints left by other consumers, and saw that Lumber Liquidators sent out non certified flooring inspectors, who denied everyone's damage claims by citing the What's Not Covered SITE CONDITIONS, or claiming it was installed wrong!!

I hired a CERTIFIED NATIONAL WOOD FLOORING inspector, which I found at www.NWFA.org to inspect my floors. The NWFA said that Lumber Liquidators NEVER SHOULD HAVE SOLD ME that flooring to use over radiant heat as their 30 year warranty clearly excludes damages caused by RADIANT HEAT. I have filed a complaint with the NWFA.org & also with the Attorney Generals office consumer fraud State of Virginia where Lumber Liquidators is headquartered. I believe that Lumber Liquidators intentionally deceives it's customers with their phony 30 year warranty, and that unfortunately it is only after the fact, when damage occurs that the consumer becomes aware of this bogus warranty.

If you search warranty on Lumber Liquidators website nothing comes up. If you try to click anytime you see the advertised 30 year warranty, there is no hyper link to take you to their warranty. The warranty is "hidden/buried" in their SPECS tab for the flooring, or under Flooring 101, or under Customer Care, then follow the links to Installation & Product Warranty. I do not recommend them, they have zero integrity, and sell poor quality flooring, that will not hold up under normal wear and tear.

I plan to upload a video I made at Lumber Liquidators, when asking the salesmen about the 30 year warranty. Look for it under Hardluck Charlie Blog as the user

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Sep 25, 2013.

Comments

LL Response to misleading 30 Yr Warranty comment:

We're sorry to hear there's been a problem. There's several concerns with the posting we need to address that are very important to consider given the degree of dissatisfaction, starting with the installation instructions. The instructions are easily obtained from our website / company several ways: 1) From the product page when viewing articles the fourth tab is marked "Installation". We list both the detailed instructions and the product warranty - listing no other information making this clear to viewers. 2) The invoice tells consumers where to access information from our website, or by phone. 3) The Customer Care page offers "Flooring 101" and the fourth tabs down listed as "Installation and Product Warranties" 4) Some products include this information in, or on the box of materials with instructions, or direction where to locate information needed for a successful project. 5) Any purchase made after July 2013 where an email address was provided, we automatically email all the warranty, instructions, care information and more to customers as a courtesy, something you won't find with any other flooring retailer.

The actual instructions read as follows for the article in question: RADIANT FLOOR HEATING

1. Follow the instructions from the supplier of the floor heating system. 2. Concrete subfloors must be installed and cured a minimum of 60 days. 3. The heating system must be in operation for at least two weeks before installation to dissipate any residual moisture. During installation, the system may be turned off or set to a suitable installation temperature 60 -80°F, humidity 30 -50%. 4. Adjust the heating system gradually, start at the lowest setting and gradually increase the heat by 5 degree increments each day. The heating surface temperature must not exceed 85°F. Add humidification as needed. 5. Over dry conditions and excessive surface heat can create problems with the finish, board gapping and splits.

Onsite inspection processes follow those of other flooring sellers, including the tile and carpet industry. What's not mentioned in the statement is what the actual failure was. If excess heat, elevated / extreme moisture (humidity), or some other failure whether site or installation related was at play can be a contributing factor for product performance. We want customers to feel good about their floors. We are proud to sell our floors and we want our customers to be proud of owning them. That said, we absolutely stand by our products and their quality. We also stand behind our warranties, which cover finish wear, rather than damage caused by "use" of the floor – commonly called "wear and tear". While warranties are common for our floors, there is a responsibility for the customer to provide care maintaining the original appearance of the floor. This is typical to most any product warranty. This rings true no matter where you source materials, so the idea we deceive customers is not something rings true with many people that return to us time and time again for flooring for projects that follow the instructions leading to great satisfaction. It would appear the postings missing some critical details, so I would encourage the author to contact the Dir. of Customer Care for LL as we're willing to help, but the facts as written are just not telling the story of a product issue at play and we're more than willing to help ANY situation where the manufacturer is at fault. This is how we stand behind the products we sell as manufacturers are willing to own up to any quality or product concerns to be an ongoing provider of quality, low cost flooring. We look forward to your call.

vicki4homes
to Anonymous Chicago, Illinois, United States #724408

To those consumers reading LL reply, you can see, it is a maze to find the warranty. And the anonymous responder includes the install instructions, funny, as I hired their recommended flooring contractor to install the flooring.

My NWFA certified inspector said the floor was installed correctly, I have not abused it, all in the report, and that LL NEVER SHOULD HAVE SOLD ME THIS FLOORING TO USE OVER RADIANT HEAT AS THEIR WARRANTY CLEARLY EXCLUDES IT. LL refuses to refund my money, YES, I called their Customer Service, and dealt with James, as stated in the beginning, that is when the 30 year warranty was supplied to me. When I discovered the toxic Formaldehyde issues in their flooring, LL customer service rep said they would no longer talk to me. That is when I made complaints with the States Attorney Generals office in Virginia Consumer Fraud, and with the NWFA, & disputed the charge with my credit card company.

Meanwhile LL headquarters have been searched by the Gov't for investigation into their importing of flooring products.

Google Lumber Liquidators to find the news report in Virginia. Soon the CEO will be investigated for dumping large amount of his stock shares.

Byteme520
to vicki4homes Old Bridge Township, New Jersey, United States #840982

Lumber Liquidators stock has dropped from $119.44 in November of 2013 to $53.48 in July of 2014. That right there tells you something isn't quite right.

I'am also a "victim" of Lumber Liquidators and I'am in the process of talking to a lawyer as we speak. Not sure if I will be filing on my own or it will be a class action suit but I will be going full steam ahead with this. It seems to me that they misrepresented their product to you. They advertise that their sales people are well educated in flooring yet "no one" mentioned you couldn't use this flooring over radiant heat?

Shame, shame on you Lumber Liquidators! This happens over & over again. It's all about getting the sale and then once you pay them your screwed! The most they will offer you is a store credit and you'll be lucky if you even get that.

After all the aggravation you go through .....who would want to purchase from them again! They have covered all the angles for themselves in regards to exonerating Lumber Liquidators of any responsibility. I have been in business myself and this isn't the way to treat your customers. Eventually it's going to *** them in the a$$ as it has already with their declining stock.

Everyone posting in this forum is doing the right thing letting people know they are not a reputable company. I would post complaints on as many forums as you can find!

Byteme520
to vicki4homes Old Bridge Township, New Jersey, United States #840985

I would post complaints on as many forums as you can find! They don't care about your problems but they do care about their pocket, so hit them where it hurts!

to Byteme520 Georgia, United States #888651

I have also taken legal action against Lumber Liquidators in Georgia for breach of warranty and breach of contract. LL should sell their products "As Is" instead of misleading the consumer with 30 year or 100 year warranties.

What a joke. There is a case in Jefferson County, Texas against LL where a default judgment against LL was entered under the Deceptive Trade Practices Act.

Here is the case number B-191,612. Jefferson county TX is in the 60th court district.

to vicki4homes #1001900

You think you have it bad- they referred an installer to me who is a general contractor- not a professional floor installer, who has multiple felony records, and had three prior failed installations. LL considers using general contractors a "mistake".

And because they aren't professional floor installers, the warranty is void because it wasn't professionally installed- right? They had a "duty to warn" me- and they did not.

Who does this to increase their installer pool??!! LL has not once denied to me that they or HSS suggest general contractors inappropriately as "professional floor installers" despite LL calling them a "mistake".